Ascites

violetmia

Can anyone tell me about how best to manage ascites? I'm aware the prognosis is very bad. I just want to help reduce my husband's pain and discomfort so he can enjoy some time with our family.

Yes, I agree with Didge, the only thing they can do is drain it. My husband developed a huge ascites, he had it drained once (8 litres) but it came back very quickly. There are also risks with the procedure, such as infection and my husband died about a week later from sepsis. That said there are people who have regular drains (if it becomes very regular they can fit a permanent drain) and have no trouble at all.

I really feel for your husband...my husband was very uncomfortable with it indeed. I'd say it's worth a go...it will definitely make him feel better in the short term and then it depends on how quickly it comes back.

Vx

Hi Violetmia, I am sorry to hear about your husband, can't help with the ascites any more than what has been posted, but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum, and say "hello".

Perhaps you could ring our lovely nurses on Monday and ask their advice on the best path for your husband they are very knowledgeable and very approachable too, and will be able to give you lots of help on all things PC. Please post again and let us all know how you are both doing,

take care love sandrax

Hi Violet welcome to the forum. Sandra has given you excellent info with regards to phoning our nurses on here as soon as you can , they will explain all this fully to you in such an easy to understand manner. They supported me enormously at a very difficult time.

Elaine

X