Onivyde

WifeampMum

Hi all

A new second line treatment for Stage 4 PC which was approved for use in the USA last year has been given the seal of approval by a top European scientific committee.

http://pharmaphorum.com/news/shires-onivyde-recommended-by-eu-regulators/

Europe’s top scientific committee (CHMP) has recommended Shire’s Onivyde (irinotecan pegylated liposomal formulation) for advanced pancreatic cancer.

The article goes on to say:

"....there is an urgent need for new treatments for pancreatic cancer.

In England, patients will hope that Shire’s drug will be deemed as cost-effective by NICE, after a long-running saga around access to Celgene’s Abraxane (nab-paclitaxel). Initially rejected by NICE, the drug was axed from the Cancer Drugs Fund late last year as part of a cost-saving drive.

Although Abraxane has a slightly different indication, as it is used as a first-line treatment, the lack of options for patients with the disease is a major cause for concern."

Let's hope that English patients have better luck with getting access to Onivyde than they've had so far with Abraxane.

W&M

I'm hopeless with research and understanding advances in treatments but I am wondering W&M whether this is the same as Lipisome Irinotecan which had been ordered for hubby but never tried due to his rapid decline.

If it is, there is further information under New treatment regime for PC in the advanced cancer section of this forum.

I shall be watching this one with personal interest then! Hopefully it will fill the "abraxane gap".

Love PW xx