Omega-3 as part of treatment ...

emcee46

I have already posted the following under the 'Advanced' forum but think it has just as much bearing here as it does on there:-

Like many other diseases, there would appear to be many 'false dawns' associated with treating PC as far as new treatments or new 'discoveries' are concerned.

However, some of you may be interested in an article which has just appeared in the London Daily Express (and others) on Thursday last (April 2nd - Page 10) announcing that researchers at Egypt's Mansoura University have found that the Omega-3 fatty acid found in fish oils can kill cancer cells and shrink tumours - and works particularly well for those on Cisplatin.

The researchers go on to say that 'docosahexanoic acid (DHA) from the oils shrinks tumors by nearly 80 per cent' in their findings. They also found that DHA 'gives some protection against the kidney damage cisplatin can cause by limiting the side effects.

Professor Abdalla El-Mowafy from the research team has been quoted as saying: "Getting an anti-cancer effect with no adverse reactions is the key to curing cancer. Fish oil works on its own in tackling the disease but when we combine it with chemotherapy, it enhances its effects so you can reduce both dose and adverse reactions."

He went on to say: "Omega-3 can be taken in capsules as a supplement. We had 100% survival in animals using chemotherapy and Omega-3 and saw tumor shrinkage of 80%."

Overall, as we all know, this could well be one of those false dawns - but it seems a harmless and cheap enough thing to give sufferers a boost - even if it's only psychological. I am giving it to my partner now on a daily basis but would be interested to know if anyone else has any views about it?