Statin Anyone?

MSH

Very interesting reports stemming from the 2015 ASCO meeting, suggesting that statins may sometimes be as effective as chemotherapy. The benefit seems to be from slowing the progression rather than prevention.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jun/03/statins-could-halve-risk-of-dying-from-cancer-says-major-study

I know we need more studies, but I can't afford to wait for them. I'm seeing my GP tomorrow

That is an interesting article Mark. Hope your GP is helpful, you can at least have a reasoned discussion with him/her being one yourself ;)

Regards

Julia x

My fella is already on them plus metformin, although he may have come off that now. He's still alive although that doesn't prove anything I know. But it's a try anything kind of cancer!

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Hi Mark,

When I worked in the NHS, there was a trial of this in lung cancer.

The results are not published yet, so not sure! But, interesting article.

Jeni.

Slewis7313

Were your discussions with your GP fruitful Mark? It would seem there is nothing to be lost in trying this one!?

Steve

Yes he gave me Simvastatin 40mgs to use "off licence". I'm waiting until I have my cholesterol checked before starting, to see what it does there, just for interest's sake. As you say it's worth trying, though it does seem that statins increase the risk of diabetes.