Gemcitabine and kidneys

Didge

We have hit a problem. My bf has had no chemo for a month now and has been plagued by various infections along the way. But the latest prob has the docs stumped. His kidneys are in a poor way and they don't know why. this is preventing him restarting chemo. They are now wondering if it's an autoimmune problem or kidney viral infection. Has anyone else suffered these probs. Would seem to simply be chemo side effect but docs don't seem to think so.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, slightly different advice needed now possibly. We now think there will be no more chemo for my other half as his kidneys have not recovered enough. His was adjuvant chemo following op but there was local lymph node involvement. He has had only 4 cycles of gem and only one of those completed all three doses. He has a very good herbalist so we can continue with that but just wondered if anyone had any ideas to try to keep the old PC at bay without chemo. obviously if he can't tolerate gemcitabine there is no prospect of any of the heavier stuff in the future.

Hi Didge

If you do a search in the Internet there is a no ending list of "super foods" with various anti cancer claims, none of which have been proven as far as I am aware.

A friends partner has read the Anti cancer diet book that he has taken a lot from (he has prostrate cancer). I bought it for Jonathan as well (tho he never read it). I think it is more useful in promoting healthy living which can only help in keeping you healthy (I can give you the author details if you are interested) but isn't an alternative to chemo.

I think as inspiration you would need to look at people like Wilko Johnson who has chosen not to have chemo and is still active and gigging (he was diagnosed early last year).

Fingers crossed for you both

Cathy xxx

Thanks all. Cathy, I am well-versed in the anti-cancer diets but my fella is addicted to sugar and bad diets. I do my best and he has improved a lot and cut down on the bad stuff but he is never going to follow any kind of dietary therapy, hard though it is for me to accept! But do give me the author, you never know, he might have a change of heart! Also hoping to go the London PC support group next Tuesday.

x

Hi Didge

Jonathan was the same - he'd been told at diagnosis to eat and drink what he wanted, and he did.

It's by David Servan-Schreiber? If I come to the support group (I'm not sure as it's a tube strike day) I'll bring it and you can have it if you want it.

Cathy xxx

well, he's off the chemo permanently. Abraxane suggested if needed in the future. Kidney damage probably permanent. But still no symptoms so I suppose, no I know, that is good news a the moment!

Hope you can chase it up, so you get it sooner, rather than at their convenience! Hope something can be done, you both deserve some luck with this. x