Timescale

xanie

Hi,

My mum is due to see a consultant at my local hospital this week with regards to an operation since she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer 4 weeks ago. I wonder if anyone would know how long it may take for my mum to be admitted into hospital? I know she would have to go for a pre assessment but do not know what tests that would involve. It is so difficult to try and plan time off work to help my mum if I have no idea how soon she is likely to be admitted will it be weeks on days? Any advice would be helpful

Hi

I'm so sorry to hear about your mum.

It's difficult to know when your mum will be admitted as all hospitals work differently. My consultant gave me available dates for surgery within a four week period prior to the pre op assessment which was done in half a day and included, ECG, blood tests and another CT scan. I was then seen by the registrar the same day to confirm the surgery date but this was my experience and I'm sure other people's will be different.

Hopefully your mums consultant will give her some idea when she sees him this week. If she will let you go with her as its difficult to ask questions yourself as your thoughts are all over the place.

Wishing you all the very best.

Sue.x