A forum to focus on treatment related issues and side effects from treatment

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
toodotty

Re: Severe distention and tightness

Postby toodotty » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:39 am

Hi Michaela,
Make sure you either take your notes with you, or you create a summary of your treatment so far. This is especially true if you are being treated at a different hospital to your cancer centre. It is really difficult for the doctors to make anything other than a general assumption about your condition if they do not know or understand your treatment background.
Yes Michaela, I have been stuck in hospital for 6 days with a blocked bile stent which was successfully replaced yesterday, though still only a plastic stent so I will probably have to have it done again within a month. My comments about general assumptions are borne out of my recent experience and I am pleased to say that I escaped yesterday evening with my sanity and my PICC line intact. I am feeling absolutely fine other than depressed, malnourished and exhausted by the whole experience.
Do not be bullied into taking medication that seems either inappropriate or potentially may compromise your treatment, challenge everything! The hospital I was at seemed to be running a "mass medication" programme and doling tablets and injections to all. Everyday I had to have a heated discussion with various people as to why I did not want a blood thinner injected into my stomach on a daily basis (especially as I had a surgical procedure due). My cancer nurse was in total agreement, "But that is only used on patients who are long term bed-bound, it is totally unnecessary for you" was her comment.
Good that they are giving you an ultrasound to see if they can get to the bottom of your problem. My excessive bloating was not fluid related, in fact I have no idea what caused it but it has gone now.
Good luck for tomorrow,

toodotty (aka stroppycow)

Dandygal76

Postby Dandygal76 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:32 pm

Oh I love the change in his face. He looks so much happier. X

Michaela1

Postby Michaela1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:21 pm

That's great you managed to escape , not so great only a plastic stent! I'm sorry your feeling so rubbish at the mo, I felt like that last night when my body suddenly decided to give me diarrhoea and vomiting! When you are Sat on the loo with a bucket in hand sweat dripping off you at 2 a.m you really do feel sorry for yourself! However when I woke up this morning my stomach although feeling like I'd been punched 50 times by a pro boxer, it actually looked and felt softer than it had since I'd had my diagnosis! I wonder if somehow the 'fluid' or whatever it is somehow dislodged itself and has gone? So I'm hoping when I have the ultrasound tomorrow all will be ok and I won't need a drain fitted! If I do have to have it fitted it will delay my 2nd round which is due Tuesday because of greater risk of infection.
I hope things start to get a bit better for you toodotty aka stroppycow, and that you can get some rest and food. Take care.x

Michaela1

Postby Michaela1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:25 pm

Sorry Kate and Veema only just noticed you had written too! Went straight to last page and didn't realise there was more messages! The pic of your husband certainly made a difference from having the drain done.......especially the fact he looks much happier after!x