Forums

1. Forums

1. News from Pancreatic Cancer UK

Read the latest updates from Pancreatic Cancer UK and how you can help us.

A forum specifically for patients only to use (e.g. newly diagnosed, recovering from surgery, having chemotherapy or patients in follow up).

A forum for family, friends and carers' of pancreatic cancer patients.

A forum to focus on treatment related issues, symptoms and side effects from treatment.

A forum for advanced pancreatic cancer issues.

A forum for any other issues around pancreatic cancer.

7. After pancreatic cancer – coping with loss

A place to support each other after a loved one has died, whether they were a partner, friend or family member. Grief can affect people differently, so please be kind and respect others' views on how they choose to cope.

• Thesea
      While I'm not sure if it is possible to really 'come to terms' with someone we love having a terminal disease, 11 weeks really sounds too short a period of time in which to even start doing that.   The Hospice offered me counselling.  I haven't taken up the offer as yet but am keeping it in mind.  Do you think that might possibly help you a bit?
    • rhi
      I feel the same. Still functioning, empty. Low energy and waiting on a tsunami coming which hasn’t hit yet. It’s such a strange feeling when you have loved someone so so much. Like you expect more already. Where is it? When will it come?
    • rhi
      Thanks to you both for responding. My beautiful Mum passed away on the 28th March. 1 day short of 11 weeks from her diagnoses. The last week was horrific. She suffered a stroke, her second in as many weeks. They said the best thing to do was make her comfortable and I just don’t think she was, definitely not at first.  We were never advised of the risk of strokes or, what it would have meant when they said they could make her comfortable. It was just horrific. They could have prepared us by having frank discussions but they didn’t. I suppose im just looking for an outlet. The reality hasn’t set in. It’s beginning to. I can’t begin to comprehend life without her but I have to. I just can’t believe she’s gone. It’s like I can and I can’t at the same time. I know it’s happened it’s just so unbelievable. I suppose I don’t know how to feel or who to talk to. I’m sick of crying. It’s just so heartbreaking for everyone: so bloody unfair. Everything just happened so fast. I’m so sorry you both had to go through this awful disease. It’s the worst. 💔
    • Luke1971
      Hi - although I didn't have PC, I had the Whipple last summer, and my six months of FOLFIRINOX finished seven weeks ago. It sounds like I'm about six months behind you. From what I can gather, it's really hard to generalise - although I can personally say that, today, the fatigue is as bad as it's ever been. I also still have peripheral neuropathy in my fingertips. I've not had sickness like you, though. Are you able to ask a professional? Sorry not to be more helpful.
    • Cheshireboho
      Hi , I was diagnosed withPC in November 22, I had a whipple followed by Folforinox for 6 months . All scans bloods good . I still have some pain and have days when I am tired and feel slightly sick . Is this normal? I know I’m lucky to have got this far . I was stage 1b no lymph nodes no metastases. 
    • Thesea
      I kind of understand what you mean when you say you want to feel really sad.  Sadness is so distinctive, it takes over and you just function on a basic level at best but at least you know where you are and it can seem like you're showing your love & respect for the person you've lost.  But I guess that when you're used to coping, getting by, trying to 'act normal' for someone who was suffering, you're not going to suddenly collapse in a heap. Maybe one way of looking at it is that you were used to getting by just fine when your partner was alive.  And that shared habit continues which would be a way of honouring him and you will cry again when the time is right.
    • Thesea
      Think I'm traumatised too.  The ins & outs of that seem too complicated & personal to explain.  Cared for my ex-partner, erstwhile friend at the end of his life.  Thanks to help and advice from the hospice his symptoms / pain were fairly well-controlled in the last few weeks in my opinion but it's a cruel disease for sure.  Nobody wants to talk about it now.  Not even our children who loved him dearly.  It's hard to talk about terminal illness in a straightforward way perhaps.  There's the physical side, the emotional side, the practicalities, the relationships between people.  An awful lot of trauma in a relatively short space of time in which you learn a lot but never, it seems, quite enough. Can you bring yourself to write a little more?    
    • broju
      I don’t know, rhi!! It just goes on and on.  You probably won’t get any replies to your post as it’s hard to write when you can’t offer a positive answer. But there are many of us out here who understand just what you’re experiencing now and will in the future so feel free to express yourself. We will all understand. Take care.      
    • rhi
      How do people deal with the trauma this disease brings? The things I’m experiencing and seen no person should have to go through.  Why don’t people tell you about the risk of strokes with pancreatic cancer?  I am completely and utterly traumatised and it’s not even finished yet!!!!! 
    • Tip Top
      Thank you Rog, and I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard to live without someone who has been your partner and soulmate for your entire adult life. Numb is a good way to describe it, and so difficult to come to terms with. The tears have come for me this week, out of the blue, but then again suddenly disappear.    Like you say, there is very little that friends can do to help. People ask all the time how I’m doing and I honestly don’t know what to say. I’m not ok but if I tell them how I’m really feeling, what can they say? So I function on a surface level with a smile and pleasantries. Lovely friends keep thinking of ways to treat me, but I don’t want to feel better, I want to feel really sad. I realise that sound both ungrateful and bonkers but that’s how it is for me at the moment. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using our forums you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.